[spreaker type=player resource="episode_id=13319434" theme="light" autoplay="false" playlist="false" width="100%" height="200px"]
Meet today's guest:
Dr. Shannon Tran
is a licensed clinical psychologist, author, certified energy healer and coach for executives and business owners to help them get out of their heads and into their body feeling more grounded and connected to themselves and others. She specializes in shifting people to being loved for who they are and not what they do, to return to balance and harmony within themselves, and live a life of meaning and purpose. www.shannontranphd.com
"I was such a people pleaser …I didn't know what I wanted. Working on my boundaries helped me understand who I am…what's important to me…and why it's important."
According to Dr. Shannon Tran, the number one secret to eliminating burnout is to establish clear boundaries in your life.
"People get so caught up in overdoing it. They get involved in multiple projects, over commit themselves, try too hard to please other people and, as a result, forget to listen to their own bodies or intuition."
Shannon shared that boundaries are a major life lesson for her and one she says she's learned the hard way!
"Have you ever had one of those moments when you're in an experience, so you're witnessing it happening, and thinking to yourself that something has got to change? I had nothing left to give and it dawned on me that I could give everything to this person and it still wouldn't be enough."
She took a step back from her situation and saw that what was preventing her from setting healthy boundaries and honouring herself was the need to please others. She had a hard time saying no because she was afraid she'd be seen as selfish and so rather than listening to what her body and intuition were telling her, she just kept giving.
"I started studying boundaries deeply. I took energy classes on it, completed workbooks; and started to notice how common this problem was for so many people."
In our conversation together, Shannon shared many nuggets of wisdom and tips for getting your boundaries in place. Here are some of the highlights…
Things you might not realize about boundaries:
- All relationships need boundaries – friendships, acquaintances, family, colleagues…
- You need to set both physical and emotional boundaries with others
- Boundaries don't have an age expiration – it's something we practice all our lives
Red flags that suggest your boundaries need some work:
- If you notice that you're often going against your own values or compromising your standards in an effort to begin or sustain a relationship or to make someone else happy
- If you have a hard time speaking up for what you want or directly asking for what you want
- Saying yes when you actually mean no!
Some hidden benefits of setting healthy boundaries:
- Allows you to know yourself on a very deep level and creates a sense of self
- When you're comfortable with your values you can be comfortable with your boundaries and that's what makes your relationships harmonious, fulfilling and safe
- When you are clear about your values and communicate them to your kids it's a powerful message
Tune in to hear all the gems, including how Shannon discovered she needed to set boundaries with her own kids; three tips you can implement right now to set healthy boundaries in your home; why it's important you give your child permission to say no; and so much more!
In sum…if your life feels out of balance, if you're exhausted all the time, or if you feel a bit like others are walking all over you, it's quite likely you need to work on your boundaries. When you do this, you shift into ease and flow in your life, because people are clear on where you stand.
Where to go from here…
Take Shannon's quiz and learn how to:
- Eliminate burn out and exhaustion
- Know when to give and when to receive
- Discover the common reasons for being out of balance
- Get back on track to boost energy and revitalize your life
- Experience inner peace from living a life that you enjoy
- Learn how to slow down without decreasing your productivity
- Increase flow and ease in your life
Pick up a copy of Shannon's book: Setting Healthy Boundaries and Communicating Them Like A Pro!
If you enjoyed this podcast/article please like/rate/review and subscribe… that’s what keeps us going! Click here now to enjoy our podcasts.
Interested in the names & products we talk about on the show? Check out our Vibrant Mentions Pinterest Board!